Well it is almost two months since we got back from the great “OE” [overseas experience] and we’ve been fairly busy.  The time away in UK and France was great.  It seems a while ago now, but still provides a kind of reference point.  It was important to get some perspective on every day life, and having enough time and distance did achieve that.

When we got back the orchard was well overdue for a mow with the spring flush already in full control.  I was pleased with the effect of the winter herbicide spraying on the walnut lines and the shelter lines.  It all needed doing again, but only just.  The mowing has been more of task.  The first round would have made good silage, but we needed to move immediately and we don’t think that it is worth risking the crop trees and fertility by taking silage off.  So it was a matter of topping with the rotary slasher and coping with the mounds of mulch that accumulated under the mower and deposited around the blocks.  It has taken three mows to get it back to standard.  Actually I am on the third mow round at the moment.

The garden is now looking good after a bit of catchup when we got back.  Barbara moved fast to get seeds germinating in the conservatory and with the help of a new motorised tiller we have it all planted out.  Root crops are just coming through, beans and peas well through, lettices and courgettes already producing.  The broard beans that wintered over are producing well too.   The tomatoes are growing well in the greenhouse and the first tomato has set.

November 9th was a devastating frost in Canterbury, killing many fresh shoots on trees and in gardens.  All our walnuts were affected, most severely.  It is pretty sad to see all the trees that only the day before were looking perky and bright in their spring plumage turn black and withered.  Some new shoots are coming away now, but for the second year in a row we don’t expect much crop from our orchard or from most orchards in Canterbury.

The weekend was the Canterbury Show holiday on the Friday, so gave us a chance to get quite a bit done.  Built a structure for the runner beans, more mowing in the orchard, moved the worm farms ready for building the new woodshed where they were, tested and fixed the walnut irrigation system for the new season, started irrigating the walnuts, set up all the garden irrigation.

Today the tree specialists are back.   We have had a lot of wind damage on the north boundary euchalyptus trees due to bark inclusion in some forks.  Today they remove any forks that are at risk.  The long term plan now is to get some poplars established between the existing trees and eventually remove the euchs.